Every Day Maintenance
- Warm Soapy Cloth
- Non Solicone based Spray & Wipe Available at your Bunnings Warehouse
Some things that may stain your benchtops are:
Frequently asked questions
All joins are visible, some more than others. This also depends on the material colour and location.
- Any spills must be removed/cleaned immediately. In the case of marble it is a porous material (even with a proprietary sealer) any spills will penetrate into the stone and cause stains or etching etc. The application of sealers does not stop staining but may reduce the chance of staining by delaying liquid penetration into the stone.
- Spills can be very different in nature from one to the next. Most of them, however, will turn out to be detrimental to stone if unattended immediately. Orange juice, lemonade, wine, vinegar, liquors, tomato sauce, yoghurt, salad dressing, perfume, after shave, wrong cleaning products and so on, will ETCH polished marble, travertine, limestone and onyx. Clean the stone thoroughly using fresh warm water or if necessary using only neutral detergents (always do a small sample area as a test).
- You may clean all stones with Methylated Spirits (such as acetone).
- After the stone has dried, you may wipe it with a clean cloth to remove any streaks.
- You may, every 3 to 6 months apply a liquid stone wax to both marble and granite. The wax is applied with a natural ﬁbre cloth and needs to be rubbed in until there is no more wax residue remaining on the surface of the stone. Any residue can be removed with “00” grade dry steel wool.
- Sealers are sometimes applied to stone benchtops, however they are not effective against acidity.
- Don't use your stone benchtop as a work bench.
- Detergents containing alkali, acid, metallic salts and/or other strong substances can actually attack the surface of the marble, and are NOT to be used.
- Don't put any wet bottles on to it (perfumes, after-shave etc.). Keep your cosmetics and fragrances away from stone surface and make sure that the legs of any trays or appliances have felt tips.
- Do not use scourers or any type of abrasive products on any of the stones.
- Do not drag heavy sharp objects over the surface of any of the stones.
- Do not sit or stand on areas of weakness such as the front or rear of sink and hotplate areas, or the overhang side of an island bench.
- Do not place hot items such as roasting trays or boiling pots directly from the oven or burner and onto the stone. This can crack the stone.
- Do not use vinegar or acidic substances to clean marble or limestone.
- Do not clean any stone with Thinners or Mineral Turpentine.
Sometimes spills occur and dry on the benchtop. For materials that harden as they dry (such as gum, food, grease, nail polish or paint), remove by gently scraping away the excess with a plastic putty knife.
Permanent markers and inks may adhere to the surface and should be avoided. Should their agents come into contact with the surface, clean first as outlined in Routine Care and Maintenance. If the stain persists, moisten a cloth with a cream cleanser, or a comparable product and rub it into the stain. Rinse thoroughly with warm water to remove any cleaner residue.
Avoid exposing engineered stone surfaces to strong chemicals and solvents; especially paint removers or furniture strippers.
Keep nail polish remover, bleach, permanent markers or inks, and oil soaps away from engineered stone.
If any of the substances listed above come into contact with engineered stone, rinse the exposed surface immediately and thoroughly with water.
When using hot pots, saucepans and heat emitting appliances, ensure you use a heat pad or trivet to protect the benchtop.
Engineered Stone has been designed to withstand exposure to moderately hot temperatures without the risk of damage, however extreme temperature changes can permanently damage the surface and crack your benchtop.
Essential Stone recommend the use of cutting boards to help ensure the long lasting beauty of your engineered stone benchtop. It is not recommended to chop directly on your benchtop as this may mark the surface.
- Warm Soapy Cloth
- Non Solicone based Spray & Wipe
Available at your Bunnings Warehouse
- Simple Green – All Purpose Cleaner
Glitz – Stone & Hard Surface Cleaner
Glitz – Spray On Wipe Off